Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Message?

I've been on a F. Scott Fitzgerald kick. Almost a year ago I read the biography of his editor - Max Perkins. I was so intrigued that I decided to reread The Great Gatsby for the first time since high school. I certainly did not appreciate classics in high school, that's for sure, because I don't remember reading such a great story! Anyway, let's shoot to the present. My company gives us a book of our choosing (up to $100) every Christmas, so this year I chose Dear Scott/Dear Max, a book of letters between Fitzgerald and Perkins ($65!). I got it yesterday, but I decided I wanted to read more Fitzgerald before I read the letters. I figured I would appreciate it more. So I picked up a book of his short stories and was reading the introduction on the train this morning. One line struck me: "and he died four days before Christmas." Today is four days before Christmas.

I think it is a message, but I'm not sure what. Or am I just being totally ridiculous? Seriously, what could it possibly mean? Perhaps it's just Irony playing tricks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home